Sara Prato MS, RDN, CSR, LMT is a Registered Dietitian Nutritionist, Certified Specialist in Renal Nutrition, Licensed Massage Therapist and Reiki Practitioner.
Hi, I’m Sara Prato I have worked in a variety of clinical and community settings over the past 14 years. My specialties include individual nutrition counseling, chronic disease management, therapeutic massage, and stress management.
I’m passionate about engaging the community in healthy living and providing individuals with the necessary tools to make positive lifestyle changes.
I have always been drawn to the way food can bring people together and create lasting memories.
It wasn’t until my father was diagnosed with diabetes that food took on a deeper meaning.
My father was left confused by the lack of actionable advice he received from doctors and dietitians. The only nutrition intervention he received was a handout on carbohydrate counting. He did not understand how this related to his diagnosis and was unsure of what to do to make things better.
The year prior to his diagnosis, I was studying nutrition, health, and kinesiology in Australia. I realized that ‘traditional’ nutritional counseling and education was outdated and needed big changes.
I took the knowledge I gained through my studies and helped my father make positive lifestyle changes to improve his health.
Inspired by this experience, I committed to pursuing a career in Holistic Health so I could help people make better lifestyle choices and live a happier and healthier life.
In my free time, I enjoy spending time with family and friends, cooking, hiking, yoga, and traveling. I look forward to working with you!
Certified Renal Specialist
I am a Board-Certified Specialist in Renal Nutrition (CSR), from the Commission on Dietetic Registration.
In 11 years as a Renal Dietitian, I have worked as a dialysis dietitian, kidney transplant dietitian and most recently as a chronic kidney disease (CKD) dietitian.
I have a unique experience of working with patients and their families throughout their journey of kidney disease. Working with patients, I have learned to meet individuals where they are and offer guidance to help them reach their goals.
Education & Credentials
- Deakin University, Melbourne, Australia University Study Abroad Consortium, 2004-2005.
- B.S. degree in Kinesiology and Minor in Psychology from Humboldt State University, 2005.
- M.S. degree in Nutritional Science from Bastyr University in 2008.
- 650-hour Massage Therapy Intensive Program from Bastyr University in partnership with Cortiva-Brenneke Massage School, 2008.
- Licensed Massage Therapist (LMP), 2008.
- Registered Dietitian Nutritionist (RDN), 2009.
- National Kidney Foundation (NKF) Council on Renal Nutrition (CRN) Region 5 Representative, 2022.
- Reiki level 1 & 2 practitioner in 2022.
- Certified Specialist in Renal Nutrition (CSR) in 2022.